Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas Day!

Christmas Day dawned with the girls sleeping in.  Upon waking, Paige helped me make Monkey Bread for breakfast.  She's been asking for it for a while and it is our Christmas breakfast tradition.  We read the girls the story of Jesus birth while they ate, so we all don't forget the real reason we celebrate Christmas.  After breakfast was done and cleaned up, we sat down to open presents.  We really try not to overdo it with our kids.  They each get an ornament, an outfit, books, and a toy from us, and one toy from each other.  We also do stockings with small gifts and trinkets.  We don't do Santa here.  The girls know that Daddy is Santa at our house.  I don't feel like I can pretend that Santa is real with them, only for them to find out later he is not.  Then, also teach them to believe and love Jesus, whom they can't see, but is very real.  We let the girls play with their new toys until lunch, which was broccoli and cheese soup in bread bowls, and after lunch, Paige helped me bake a birthday cake for Jesus.  We sang Happy Birthday and had the cake after naps.  It was a nice relaxing day!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I used to love when my mom would make monkey bread!
Bradley wants to do the same thing about Santa with our kids. They will get stockings, and know the story of the real St. Nick, but know that we are the ones who do the presents. I think you make a good point of the comparison to Jesus.

Kim said...

We are so similar! Monkey bread is our Christmas morning tradition (it's actually our birthday morning tradition...and Christmas is Jesus' birthday!). I also feel EXACTLY the same way about santa for the EXACT same reason (and get a lot of grief from a lot of people who think I'm depriving my children of something so fun...).