Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What is that?

So a couple weeks ago when leaving a friend's house I noticed Alaina had, what looked like at that time, some scratches on her arm.  I didn't think much of it there were LOTS of kids there and I just figured she had gotten scratched. 

Well, the next day, late morning, I noticed that these "scratches" now were all blistered.  All the way down the entire length of the red mark was blistered and looked like burns.  (Note: the blisters had almost all popped by the time I thought to take a picture.)  I started looking to see if it was anywhere else, and sure enough, she had some smaller marks and blisters around her thumb on the same arm.

I was pretty nervous about it and thought that for sure I would have known if she had gotten 2nd degree burns.  So, I called the Dr. and took her in. 

He knew right away that she had gotten into some Wild Parsnip.  I had never heard of such a thing happening.  Apparently, when you pick Wild Parsnip, the sap from the plant gets on your skin and the UV rays from the sun burn the skin where the sap is.

So, how did we come into contact with Wild Parsnip, you ask.  Well, the day before we were at the friends house where I noticed it, we were at another friends house in the country that is basically surrounded by wild prairie.  Alaina was picking "flowers" all morning there.  Who knew this would happen.  I guess once the blisters heal the dark marks can stay on her arm for months.  We'll see what happens.  


No comments: