Sunday, May 2, 2010

Paige's Birth Story

I can hardly believe how fast 4 years go, but then when I sat down to write this, I realized I have a hard time remembering the details of her birth.  Well here goes, I may have to consult the baby book. . .

Daddy and I wanted to be married for 2 years before we had kids.  We felt we needed this time to grow together and do things as a couple before we brought children into the mix.  I was working at West High at the time and new that I wanted to have a spring baby so I could finish out the year.  I always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and we were blessed that I could do this. 

I found out I was pregnant on September 8, 2005, it was a Thursday.  We were very excited and nervous.  Mommy was waiting for Daddy in their bedroom when he got home from work and sent him into the bathroom to find the pregnancy test.  Yay, you were due on May 10, 2006!

Mommy didn't get very sick.  I had a little nausea, but nothing bad.  At the time I thought it was bad, but after pregnancy #2, I realized it wasn't that bad.  We knew from the beginning that we wanted to find out the gender of our kids.  I just have to know.  I think the surprise is just as great at 20 weeks, as it is at 40.   We found out it was a girl.  We were thrilled.  I always thought that I wanted to have 4 boys, it's strange how God knows us better than we think we know ourselves.  I can't imagine life without my girls.  We planned a gender neutral nursery, you know, "just in case".

It was pretty smooth sailing until 38 weeks when my blood pressure spiked.  The Dr. was worried about preeclampsia, so I had to do the 24 hour urine test and was immediately put on bed rest.  I asked her exactly what she meant by bed rest.  She said, you stay in bed or on the couch unless you need to use the bathroom.  Hmm. . .no more work for me. 

We had Faith Family 8 days before I was due and I had been having contractions all day that day.  Not strong ones, or consistent ones, but every hour or so.  I had a couple while we were having FF and didn't think much of it, but Suzy and Emily didn't think I would last through the night.  And I didn't.   Around 11pm they started getting much closer together and much more painful.  We had learned to call the hospital when they are consistently 5 minutes apart, well mine were 3,5,7,4,9,3, etc. minutes apart.  I called and we went in around 1:30am on May 3rd.

I was dilated to 4 and 1/2 when we got there and immediately asked for an epidural.  The nurse told me she wanted the contractions to be stronger before the epidural so they started pitocin and broke my water.  I'm still not so sure pitocin was necessary and why I couldn't have the epidural right away.  But alas, I finally, after vomiting and compound contractions during insertion of the epidural, was able to rest.  I did sleep for a couple hours and around 6:30am felt the need to push.  Paige Elizabeth was born at 6:51am on May 3rd, 2006.   She was 8lbs 2oz and 20 and 1/2 inches long.

We had picked out the name Paige a year or so before we even got pregnant, so Paige she is.  Paige came out screaming.  The poor girl cried for 4 months.  If she wasn't sleeping, she was crying.  No Joke!  I can't believe that we have pictures of her from that time when she isn't crying.  We must have run for the camera.  Paige has always been a go getter and very strong.  And she has loved TV since she was an infant.  I used to turn on Baby Einstein signs and put it on continuous play.  You would watch for 2 hours so mommy could sleep at 6 months.

For how difficult the first 4 months of her young life was, she has turned into a very pleasant little girl.  More on that tomorrow, her 4th birthday. 

No comments: