Wednesday, May 4, 2011

No TV Day!

We've been watching WAY to much TV at our house.  So today I decided it's a no TV day!  The girls are playing downstairs with nothing to entertain them, except each other and their toys.  They just called me down so show me they are playing "Garage Sale".  (Smile!)  The basement is trashed, but it's worth it to let them use their imaginations.  They keep asking to watch a movie, and I keep saying no.  I've been using movies too much as a "babysitter" when I need to get something done or need an hour of quiet.  While there can be a place for this, it's been way to frequent here.

I want them to learn to play together.  I want them to know how to entertain themselves.  I don't want them to rely on me or the television for their entertainment.  This is something they are going to have to learn how to do.  My kids have never been super imaginative.  They don't get a lot of pleasure from toys.  I've often thought that I should just get rid of 90% of our toys and maybe I should, but days like today, when I don't give them something else to entertain them, they are playing nicely and enjoying some toys they haven't played with in a while.  It doesn't hurt that yesterday was Paige's birthday and there are some new things to play with.  We'll see how long it (I) lasts.

No comments: