Sunday, September 12, 2010

Our First Campout!

We went camping as a family for the first time ever a couple weekends ago.  Mark and I both grew up camping in pop-ups.  In fact, this camper belongs to Mark's parents.  It's the one he camped in growing up.  I haven't wanted to take the girls camping before now, because I just can't imagine it would be much fun with a kid under age 2, but that's just me.  Of course Alaina was the last one asleep and the first one awake both nights, but that's part of the fun.  I knew we would have some trouble as she is used to sleeping in a crib and she had a bed here.  After the first night I asked Mark if it ruined the camping experience to bring out our portable DVD player.  We decided it didn't and used that to help them relax the second night.  (PS this was my first attempt at editing a picture to look vintage.)
It was great to see the girls entertain themselves with nothing but sticks, dirt, rocks, an alligator, and dinosaurs.  They had a blast and were filthy.  As you can see, Alaina refused shoes for much of our weekend.
We did get out some polly pockets the last day, just for something new.
And Alaina played with the alligator.
This is how Paige buckled up on the way out.  Pretty cute, but not so safe.

1 comment:

Derricca said...

I think everyone should experience this! We love it! We have been taking Abigail since she was 9 months. :) We still do the tent thing, but haven't been able to go this year.

Good for you guys!