Thursday, June 3, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T . . .

find out what it means to me!

Here is my problem.  Kids don't respect adults.  What is the deal?  We were at the park the other day and there were some older boys there and by older I mean around 7-10 years old.  (I am also a bad judge of age.)  Alaina was at the top of the slide, several times, when these boys would come over to the slide and proceed to run up it. . .with my 2 year old daughter sitting at the top.  Each time I asked the boys to turn around and come back down so she could come down.  They looked at me and kept right on going.  WHAT?!  Several times they would even say to me that they were just going to the top.  Really?!  I wasn't even all that nice after a while and still they kept it up.  And this isn't the only time I've had this problem with kids.  I LOATHE this behavior.

#1 - I don't think kids should climb backwards up the slide regardless if there is someone at the top or not!

#2 - Even if the kids are allowed to climb up the slide, if an adult asks them not to, shouldn't they stop?

#3 - Where were their parents?

#4 - Why aren't kids being taught to respect adults, no matter who they are?

I've found my biggest pet peeve is when I've asked a child to do or not do something and they totally ignore me.  I seriously can't stand this.  I want my kids to respect people.  All people!  I know that I don't have perfect kids.  I know that first time obedience is severely lacking at home, but I hope and pray that my kids will respect other adults and do what they ask, even if they don't want to.  (I know that there are instances out there where this could be dangerous, but I'm not talking about those situations right now.) 

So, if you are ever around my children and they are acting disrespectful towards you or another adult and I don't see it, please tell me. Respecting others and their property (which is a whole different post) is a life lesson that needs to be taught and learned.  These are just my thoughts for the day. 

3 comments:

Rachel Bardwell said...

A to the MEN sister. I'm with you.

Jamie said...

I am with you ... I can't stand mouthy or disrespectful kids, no matter what age they are! Guess that's what happens when parents aren't respectful of other people either, or choose not to teach their kids how to be!

MillerFam said...

AMEN! My thoughts exactly.