Monday, May 18, 2009

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

So when we picked Alaina up after the Sesame Street Live show, Emily said that she had a fever. I felt so, so bad that I had left her with them sick. I truly had no idea before that. Bad Mom!!! This was Wednesday night and Friday morning I was going with my parents to Kansas to see my Grandma and other relatives. I thought I should call and take her in on Thursday just to see what I was dealing with. I thought for sure the Dr. would tell me she had an ear infection. Nope. . .the ears were clear, but she did see a couple blisters in her throat. The Dr. thought she was just starting Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. It sounds worse than it is, but apparently it is super contagious, they run fever for a few days and get a blister-like rash in their mouths, on their hands, and on their feet. There is nothing you can do besides keeping them comfortable with Tylenol and Motrin.

Well, now what am I supposed to do about traveling. The Dr. said it is a childhood disease, adults shouldn't catch it and I could go if I wanted. After talking it over with my mom, we decided to risk it and go. I'll let you know in my next post if this ended up being a good idea or not.

No comments: